Wednesday 24 September 2008

Tell Me About Your Mum and Dad.

Now this is a difficult one!

My biological father I know almost nothing about, apart from the fact that he came from Somerset and worked in an off licence at one point. The Somerset bit obviously explains my slight tendency towards madness!

My real dad, my proper one – the one I grew up with – I know a lot about, obviously! He had known my mum long before I was born, and in fact happened to be in the UK when I was born, so was one of the first people to see me. He was on leave from Malawi, and as they were old family friends he popped into the hospital to se my mum. In fact, years before in Malawi, he had gone out with my mother’s sister! Luckily for us it didn’t work out! He came back on leave three years later, met up with my mum again, they fell in love (at least I assume they did!!) and got married on Hogmanay that year, and we all left the UK two days later. I apparently made Grandma cry buckets because I said I’d see her tomorrow! I was only three and a half!

Anyway, my dad is a pretty chilled sort of person, most of the time. He’s 70 now, 13yrs older than my mum, but he looks much younger than his years. He was married before, and got divorced about 5 or so years before he and my mum got together. He has two sons from that marriage Richard and David – 10 and 13 years older than me. I don’t know them that well because I didn’t grow up with them, and we have never spent a lot of time together.

My mum is pretty laid back as well. Most of the time we get on brilliantly. She is a good laugh, we get on well, she helps me out with Isla all the time, and most of the time we are good friends as well as mother and daughter. We have our blow ups, but they are usually over pretty quickly.

And both my mum and my dad adore Isla so much it is unbelievable.

0 comments: