Friday 26 September 2008

What interesting information do you know about other people in our family?

The only really interesting snippet I know is that my dad’s grandfather emigrated to Australia in the 19th century, allegedly intending on sending for his family, but he never did. I’m not sure how long he was there before he died, but it was a good few years I think. Anyway, there is a large area of Perth that is called Beldon, which is quite cool I think!

Ooh, I’ve just thought of two more.

Both my dad and my uncle have been jailbirds in Africa!

My uncle was driving with his mate, from Nairobi back to Britain; a journey which I am sure was fraught with difficulties. I must get him to tell me all about it one day. Anyway, they were driving in the Central African Republic and got caught in a convoy, which turned out to be a Presidential convoy. He was stopped, and a policeman asked him if he was a spy. “Of course I am” he replied sarcastically. Never use sarcasm to an African policeman – it doesn’t work. Into the slammer he went, and paid his way out of it with cheap fags!

My dad’s jail spell happened before he and my mum got married. The Queen was visiting Malawi, and the President was driving through the town. All shops, offices – basically every person in every building – had to turn out to see the drive by. He was standing by the side of a road when a policeman asked him to move.
He said “I’ll stand where I want to wave to my Queen.”
The policeman asked him “What about our President?”
My dad replied “Oh, I’ll wave to him too…if he’s there!”

Again, into the slammer! It was only a police cell, and they let him go. Lucky for him – in those days you could get deported for less than that.

2 comments:

aims said...

Those are rather scary stories aren't they!

Have heard so many horror stories coming out of there...

KatduGers said...

Well, they sound scary, and it probably was at the time, but we all joke about it now. I don't think anyone really took it that seriously. Although in those days deportation was rife, for as little as saying the Presdent's speech was rubbish.

At least we can look back and laugh.