Saturday 7 February 2009

Are there any special heirlooms, photos, bibles or other memorabilia that have been passed down in your family?

I have done quite a lot of research into our family tree. I was inspired by all the family photographs that we have, dating back to 1895 – my grandmother’s father at about 5 years old. Grandma had all these photos in her flat, and a few years ago my mum went through all of them with her and put them all in to date order, worked out who was who and put them all into albums. It’s an amazing piece of family history. Grandma also has a lot of family birth certificates I think, and I’m sure she has more old photographs in her flat.
Apart from that, we don’t have anything that’s been passed down. We don’t have any antiques or heirlooms or legacies or anything.

But I think the photographs are amazing, and wouldn’t swap them for some old bit of tat masquerading as an antique!!

1 comments:

aims said...

For some reason I got all the old photographs in the family.

I took them and went to visit my 90yr. old aunt. We went through them and she identified as many people as she could and we wrote on the back who was who etc. etc.

I made piles of pics for the different families. I thought that each family should have the pics that related to them.

I then sent them all off in the post and felt quite satisfied.

Not one of my first cousins thanked me for the effort. But second and third were extremely grateful and I have some very nice thankyou notes now from them.

I still have quite a pile of old pics - even a tintype! I don't have them in albums just yet - but I think eventually I'll do that.

I got the old bible and dictionary that has been passed down through the ages as well. I have them securely wrapped up in brown paper to keep them from disintegrating.

I have found that memories are more valuable than 'things'. I can take them out whenever I want and get a great deal of comfort from them.