Saturday 21 February 2009

Do you enjoy participating in music, art, gardening, needlework, sewing, carpentry, mechanics, etc.? Which members of the family did these activities?

I’ve never really been one for hobbies and the like – mainly because none have ever appealed to me enough to spend very much time doing them!

I learnt various musical instruments when I was younger – see
here for my post on that. I was never passionate about any of them though.

My mum has always been good with a sewing machine, and has done various things with one, the most recent being a pool cover for our neighbour and friend, and recovering the armchair in my bedroom. She’s very clever with it, and can do beading and all sorts of things! I’ve never had the inclination to learn – I don’t have the patience for that sort of thing. She also knits, and does a very natty line in Arran jumpers, which I lived in when I was younger, and Isla had loads when she was smaller. She hasn’t knitted for a while – but is hopefully going to knit new jumpers for Isla and me for next winter.

My dad is great at carpentry. He makes great cupboards and wardrobes, and the next project I think will be new cupboards for the kitchen – which is in serious need of work! The only thing we’ve done to the kitchen since we’ve been here is to plaster and paint it – we are lacking in cupboard space and work surface! It’s amazing what we manage to do, cooking wise, in there, but it would be fab to have a lovely new kitchen!

I do the odd bit of gardening – as in, not very much at all! Every spring I buy new herb plants, because I love cooking with fresh herbs. The taste is so different to dried ones. I would also love to know more about herbal remedies. I have tried a couple before – and infusion of rosemary for a headache made me seriously ill, and an hot oil treatment for my hair left me smelling like a roast lamb! Sharpens the appetite, but only for food! Not exactly an attractive fragrance unless it’s emanating from the oven! Anyway, I plant my herbs out every year, and sometimes they grow, and sometimes they don’t! I don’t exactly have green fingers. I always say to people when I’m house sitting that I’m good with animals, but plants have a tendency to commit suicide when I’m around!

Something I don’t mind doing is card making. My mum makes lovely cards, for all occasions, should you ever need one! She can sit for hours and make cards, whereas I need to wait for inspiration and can do it for maybe an hour. All our Christmas cards are homemade, and that’s a mega marathon in about November. The card below is one I made for Isla's 9th birthday last year. She adores Hello Kitty!

My favourite thing, although I wouldn’t class it as a hobby, is photography. The reason I wouldn’t class it as a hobby is that I have had some paid work, so I would say I’m about 5% professional! For an example check out this website of a gîte I photographed nearby. It’s a beautiful house, in a lovely area. Go on, check it out and book a holiday. I dare you!

My favourite photography subjects are people. I love natural photography - none of that studio stuff, and I use natural lighting, mainly because I can't afford anything else! The photo I'm posting below is of a close friend of mine - she won't mind me posting - she signed a model release years ago! She's one of the most photogenic people I know.
I also spend hours photographing Isla, and she gets so sick of it! The dogs are great subjects too, but it takes ages to get great photos as labradors and newfs rarely stay still! The picture below is one of Isla at about 3 or four, and one of our old Pyrenean Mountain Dog, Ben.NB. All Photographs My Own Work except Thyme and Basil.

5 comments:

♥ KNITTING ART said...

I like art, oil painting, neddlework, sewing, knitting and photography as my hobbies :) in my family dear Blogger.
And i'm happy for being your first visitor from Turkey!
Have a nice weekend...

KatduGers said...

Welcome from Turkey!!

aims said...

Wow! That place is beautiful! What a lovely retreat it would be indeed. Of course I'd be in the pool all the time!

Now I have an idea of where you're located. It looks fabulous!

As for me - well - you already know. I'm a huge knitter! I've always knitted - since I was taught when I was 4! Seems too young to be sitting and knitting doesn't it?

I think we sometimes fall into our talents. You've obviously got a talent with photography. It could definitely go somewhere - but then - is it a hobby? Is it as much fun? No. Never. I turned my love of knitting into a wool shop and was very glad to sell it after 5 years.

I could use your dad for some shelves in my kitchen too. We're going to be renovating it next (after my knitting room is finished).

And - um - the hair and the lamb thing? Ickkkkk!

Robert said...

Great pics! Why not post more pics about your area & your beautiful little one?

KatduGers said...

Aims - my mum tried to teach me to knit when I was much younger, but I was all fingers and thumbs!!
You're right, the area is beautiful - we are about an hour south of that house. The photography is great, but around here it's probably not going to keep the wolf from the door!

Robert - thanks for that! I do post lots of other pictures, but they're on the other blog, which is linked to under my profile and clock.